What does a sales person and a chatbot have in common? Conversation.
In the past few decades, following incredible technological advancements, the ability to create such interactions has become possible between humans and machines, opening a whole new world of possibilities.
And as we grow more reliant on digital platforms and services activities, we start realizing how important these interactions are in our day to day activities.
And this is also where AI comes into play.
AI-powered conversational platforms allow for a faster, more convenient and higher quality experience for the customer and it is crucial to understand how they work in order to get their full potential
So here’s what we’ll cover in this article:
Conversational platforms: what they are and how they work
An AI conversational platform allows people to speak with computers and machines in a way that mimics conversations with a human being, whether it’s speaking or writing or talking.
The technology behind conversational platforms is evolving fast.
However, there are some elements that the most of today’s platforms have in common, including:
- Automatic speech recognition: it’s what allows the machine to recognize that a person is speaking.
- Language models: thanks to language models the machine is able to understand what the person is saying.
- Machine learning: it’s what allows the machine to constantly learn from experience and improve.
Conversational AI & traditional chatbots: the differences
Conversational AI is often confused with the “chatbots”.
So what’s the relationship between chatbots and conversational AI?
Conversational AI is the technology designed to interact with humans using natural language.
It’s what allows us to literally speak to computers and machines as if we were talking to another person. And this is possible thanks to language models and machine learning (read our blog on conversational AI).
This technology can power virtual assistants and chatbots.
However, not all chatbots use conversational AI. The majority is rule-based, which means they're designed with specific responses and can't go beyond them.
In fact, rule-based chatbots:
- reply to specific keywords only
- cannot understand the context of a conversation
- have a more narrow scope
- are hard to scale
These are simple chatbots that highly depend on the user input and cannot go beyond the pre-defined rules they’re built upon. This means that as soon as the person’s queries fall outside these predefined parameters, the chatbot falls short on understanding the query and on delivering the appropriate answers.
On the other hand, conversational AI chatbots:
- understand queries, even when misspelled
- understand the context and intent of a conversation and respond accordingly
- can handle more complex requests
- are easily scalable
With a mix of machine learning and LMs - which provide the chatbot with more functionalities - they’re able to interact with people in a more engaging and dynamic way.
Does this mean that conversational AI chatbots are always a better choice than rule-based chatbots?
Traditional chatbots are much easier to use and are usually more affordable.
They have a specific target and have limited functionalities whereas conversational AI chatbots can handle much more complex situations and can be implemented for a wider range of activities.
Today’s technological advancements make LMs technologies more accessible for companies, thus making conversational AI platforms more approachable for businesses, regardless of size.
Benefits of Conversational AI platforms for business
People, processes, data.
Organizations are complex, ever-growing ecosystems in which different players may only partly communicate with each other, or not at all.
There are many reasons why your business could benefit from implementing conversational platforms for their team.
- Democratize data | A conversational AI platform will make your business data easily available and understandable by anyone in your organization, non-tech resources included.
- Leverage real-time insights | When everyone in each department is fully empowered with a self-service data intelligence tool, they gain access to real-time, automatically updated insights.
- Make data-driven decisions | Conversational platforms set any enterprise department for immediate action by providing valuable, bias-free information.
- Enjoy conversational ease | No more concerns, doubts or questions, or problems around dataConversational platforms allow you to gain vocal or written insights just as you would by chatting with a human.
- Have a one-stop platform | All cross-department data integrated in a single platform will enable different departments to access insights without barriers from the same source, making sure everyone has access to the same shared information.
Conversational AI in Crystal
Conversational platforms are changing the way businesses leverage their data, enabling better decision-making and improving both customers and employees’ engagement.
Crystal is the generative AI platform for business intelligence that supports language models and conversational AI to make data accessible to all employees.
It takes a human-first approach that enables business people to access and interact with data through natural conversations, receive recommendations, and collaborate in one easy-to-use, intuitive platform.
Curious to know how it works? See our product in action.